Issue with finding net port for a MBIM modem

Ben Chan benchan at chromium.org
Fri Aug 18 21:25:53 UTC 2017

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Aleksander Morgado <
aleksander at aleksander.es> wrote:

> >> But now I wonder, maybe we could just remove the whole block? Is there
> >> any case nowadays were we don't get port event removals? If this was a
> >> hack for a bug in kernel 2.6.31, maybe we could consider it already
> >> obsoleted?
> >

> > Yeah, this comes from an old commit 53af144f49b0d81bd4dc1f5ee9eea6
> d61ccae992
> > (udev: handle removal of parent usb devices) dated back to 2009, which
> seems
> > to imply that the kernel doesn't remove the tty when the usb device is
> > removed. I guess it's probably not hard to reproduce the steps, but I'm
> not
> > sure if the original fix was related to a particular kernel version or a
> > particular devices or a combination of both.
> >

> Dan, what do you think?
>
> From my POV, I would nuke that device removal logic right away now...

Looking at a different perspective, and not specific to this special device
removal logic, is there any reason MM is interested in udev events on
DEVTYPE=usb_interface?  It seems like MM needs events on DEVTYPE=usb_device
for the usb subsystem and the special case for usbmisc/cdc-wdm*?