Leveraging GPS in MC7700

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon Feb 6 09:18:34 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 4:48 AM, Adam Sherman <adam at sherman.ca> wrote:
> On 2017-02-05 10:32 PM, matthew stanger wrote:
>> First check to make sure you can get GPS location and not just 3gpp
>> location, i.e. location from just the cell tower. Run 'mmcli -m 0
>> --location-status' and check capabilities. You'll want to see something
>> like:
>> /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
>>   ----------------------------
>>   Location | capabilities: '3gpp-lac-ci, gps-raw, gps-nmea'
>>            |      enabled: '3gpp-lac-ci, gps-raw, gps-nmea'
>>            |      signals: 'no'
>
> I seem to be fully loaded:

The MC7700 is managed in QMI mode, and therefore we get the NMEA flow
via QMI messages. There is no 'unmanaged' GPS support implemented for
when in QMI mode yet.

> $ mmcli -m 8 --location-status
>
> /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/8
>   ----------------------------
>   Location |   capabilities: '3gpp-lac-ci, gps-raw, gps-nmea, agps'
>            |        enabled: '3gpp-lac-ci, gps-raw'
>            |        signals: 'yes'
>   A-GPS    |    SUPL server: '栭獬瀮浮挳㜰⹭捣㌰㈮灵戮㍧灰湥瑷潲欮潲机㜲㜵'
>   GPS      |  refresh rate: '30'
>
> What is a SUPL server? And why is mine defined as "unesdoc.unesco.org"?

This is an online server which the modem will use to process A-GPS; in
order to make a quicker initial position fix. The default one is
likely configured by default in your modem firmware.