How can I help to add ublox Sara-270 support on ublox branch?

Schroer, Jens Peter jens.schroer at scypho.com
Thu Jan 5 17:10:07 UTC 2017

Hi,
sorry for the long response time. Did not have the time to dig into this
more up till now.
Happy new year.

First, I tried the ublox branch. It does recognise the modem and loads
the plugin, however when
doing a mmcli -m 0 --simple-connect it fails while creating the bearer.
Up on closer investigation the step CREATE_BEARER_STEP_CHECK_MODE fails.
Reason is that only Toby supports the used UBMCONF command.
For SARA, if the modem is switched into CDC-ECM mode, it can only act as
bridge.
Also the commands UIPADDR are Toby specific, as for the SARA the network
config happens by
first configuring a PDP context, say context one, and then running
UCEDATA=1,0 (where 1 is the id of the PDP context)
to establish the data connection. DHCP needs to be handled by host OS in
this case.

 From my point of view the logic for SARA should be
1. Check USB profile (as done now)
2. If modem is SARA assume bridge mode
3. Configure the PDP context (say 1)
4. Run UCEDATA=1,0 to establish data connection.

I studied the code, but I am not sure how you would like to distinguish
the different ublox models?
create_bearer_step is the first place where I would need it and then
after that I would assume also on the connect method of the
MMBroadbandBearerUblox?

What do you suggest?

Kind regards,
Jens