Huawei ME906s-158 (a.k.a. HP lt4132) IPv6 support

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Thu Jul 6 05:26:26 UTC 2017

* Sebastian Sjoholm <sebastian.sjoholm at gmail.com>

> The LT4120 might have it's own challenges. The website you are
> referring to does add udev rule to set the configuration of the
> modem, as it seems to be in win8 mode as original, and that the Linux
> system does not seem to cope with very well.

I just received the replacement lt4120 modem HP sent me and it actually
seems to work quite well - including IPv6 connectivity. The only issue
was that it came up in configuration #2 by default, and in this mode MM
doesn't pick it up.

After switching it to configuration #3 (MBIM) everything Just Worked
without any further tinkering. I see the blog post author went for
configuration #1 instead, and that looks more cumbersome pull off.
Maybe it has any distinct advantage over MBIM mode he needed, I don't
know.

Anyway, all I needed was to add a udev rule such as:

ACTION=="add|change", ATTR{idVendor}=="03f0", ATTR{idProduct}=="9d1d", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}=="2", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}:="3"

As I understand it this would not have been necessary for me to do if
Fedora had shipped the latest version of usb_modeswitch, which adds
support for this particular device (switching it to MBIM mode).

Tore

(re-sent with the list on CC, sorry for the duplicate, Sebastian)