--3gpp-scan option to show dbm values?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Jul 14 16:53:52 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 4:47 PM, Marcel <mahik18 at gmx.de> wrote:
> as written above, I am looking for a way to display the dBm value
> additionally to the respective network when using mmcli -m 0 --3gpp-scan

I don't think there's anything like that supported in a general way.
I've seen 3GPP scan implementations return e.g. the RAT in addition to
network name/MCCMNC (e.g. in QMI NAS Network Scan), but not really the
signal quality % or RSSI.

That said, in QMI there is the "QMI NAS Get Cell Location Info", that
may give you what you're looking for, and probably other protocols for
other modems also have something similar. What kind of modem are you
using?

> I actually also wanted to ask if there is a way to better deal with the
> --timeout, such as: is there a way to check if probably all/most networks
> have been found and then stop or something like that

Nah, there's nothing we can do about that. The modems return the whole
list all together once the scan has been finished.

> Or set a value for timeout and if the timeout has passed, check if a certain
> amount of networks has been found, if less or no networks have been found,
> just continue searching for another period (well actually if no networks
> have been found you could just restart)

Nope, modems don't give us an interface like that one.

> And finally, is there a way to get found networks prompt as they are found,
> as by now, I get the output just as the process has finished, but I'd like
> to get each network instantly when it is detected

Nope, again, modems return the whole list all together once the scan
has been finished :/

The newer QMI services, though, work in a total async way, where you
request something and you get the results asynchronously via
indications (that would align with what you're looking for), but I
haven't analyzed them thoroughly to be able to say that there are QMI
commands that would let you run an scan in that way.