ModemManager with Sierra EM7305 and GPS

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Jun 13 15:12:50 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-06-13 at 11:17 +0000, Petr Kloc wrote:
> Hi Dan
>
> My suspicion regarding incorrect device grabbing by modules proved
> correct. Neither qcserial, nor qmi_wwan had my device (Vendor=0x1199,
> Product=0x9063) in its internal list. I did modify
> both  drivers/net/usb/qmi_wwan.c  and  drivers/usb/serial/qcserial.c
> in my kernel source tree to include such device.  Both GPS and modem
> now works flawlessly in the configuration #1  and I have
> configuration #2 (MBIM) available for backup.
>
> It might be useful to notify the qcserial and qmi_wwan upstream
> maintainers (Greg Kroah-Hartman  and  Bjorn Mork ?).

Sent my "get me the device IDs" mail before I saw this one :)  You're
100% correct; the driver is missing those IDs and we should add them.
The problem you were running into is that either the switch wasn't
happening correctly, or the drivers were being force-bound to more
interfaces than they should have been, which is a problem with the
'bind' thing in general for more complicated devices.

Dan