Setup MC7455 connection to internet with modem manager

Thomas Haller thaller at redhat.com
Thu Jun 15 16:34:24 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-06-15 at 17:20 +0200, Nassim Dahmani wrote:
> Yes the device is unmanaged I searched on internet how to set it
> managed by NM but nothing helped me
>
> nmcli dev show cdc-wdm1
>
> GENERAL.DEVICE:                   cdc-wdm1
> GENERAL.TYPE:                           gsm
> GENERAL.ADR.-MAT.:                      (unknown)
> GENERAL.MTU:                            0
> GENERAL.STATE:                           10 (not managed)
> GENERAL.CONNEXION:                      --
> GENERAL.CON-PATH:                       --

Hi,

The TYPE of cdc-wdm1 interface is "gsm".

On the other hand, NetworkManager.conf has:

CONFIG: [keyfile]
CONFIG:   unmanaged-devices=*,except:type:wifi,except:type:wwan

note, that "except:type:wwan" does not match "type:gsm".

Probably this configuration comes from something like
  /usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/10-globally-managed-devices.conf
If you create an empty file
  /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/10-globally-managed-devices.conf
the one
from /usr/lib will be shadowed.

Or, put another file
  /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/99-my-managed-devices.conf
with
  [keyfile]

unmanaged-devices+=except:interface-name:cdc-wdm1
or just reset it
entirely:
  [keyfile]
  unmanaged-devices=