ModemManager and ppp

Tom Hayward tom at harbortronics.com
Fri Mar 10 17:25:58 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 8:37 AM, Aleksander Morgado
<aleksander at aleksander.es> wrote:
> The whole MM sequence is the same for TTY-only and QMI/MBIM+wwan
> devices; just launch --simple-connect, if successful it creates a
> bearer object that is in connected state. The bearer object will
> report which is the data interface to use (which could be a wwan, or a
> TTY) and also which method to use (ppp over the tty, or DHCP or Static
> IP config over the wwan). An application that wants to use MM as modem
> management and handle multiple modem types needs to handle all 3
> methods and use explicitly the one reported by MM (e.g. some modems
> won't be able to use DHCP over a wwan and in that case static IP
> setting needs to be performed).

Thank you. This is very educational.

It sounds like I could improve my process by ditching the chatscript,
using --simple-connect, then adding a new utility to communicate with
the bearer and launch the appropriate type of interface (pppd, dhcp
client, or static). Can you point to some example code that shows how
to get this information from the bearer object?

The systemd support Colin mentioned is tempting, but the distribution
I'm using is SysV-based and I haven't looked into how feasible it
would be to swap. I know at least a few things on my end would need to
be rewritten...

Tom