ModemManager will not start on raspberry pi jessie lite

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed May 17 15:00:38 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 08:49 +0200, marcel wrote:
> I am able to run them, but can I check somehow if the Modem Manager
> is
> running after that? As I still get the same warning from running
>
>      $ sudo ModemManager
>
> as before
>

> but something did actually change, I just ran
>
>       $ sudo mmcli -m 0
> --simple-connect=apn=m2mdetrial.telefonica.com|operator-id=26203
>
> and before, it just said command not found, but now i got:
>
>      error: couldn't connect the modem:
> 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Error.Core.Failed:
> PolicyKit
> authorization failed:
> 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
> org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 was not provided by any .service files''

ModemManager can optionally use PolicyKit to ensure non-root users
can't mess up the modem.  If you don't care about that, or you have a
single-user system, or an embedded-type system, you may not want to use
PolicyKit at all.

You can disable PolicyKit at build-time by passing the "--with-
polkit=no" option to the configure script.

Dan