RFC: New device filter policies

matthew stanger stangerm2 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 23:33:30 UTC 2017

Aleksander,

Following the discussion regarding Debian wanting to patch
> ModemManager to avoid unnecessary probing of non-modem TTYs

This patch was great for us. I went ahead and re-based it on top of 1.6.10
and it has been running on the PLS8-X/E without issue. I used the
white-list option & think this is a really huge nice to have. I'd suggest
adding the nice comment message example you have for using the white-list
to the linked documentation though - I actually read the documentation
first :). Also the documentation has a few minor syntactical errors, like
under the API doc '--policy' instead of '--filter-policy'. I can add the
ones I found if you'd like.

With the white-list I had a feature idea I'd like to pitch. I thought it'd
be great if there was NetworkManager applet integration to control the MM
white-list, such that, a user might initiate a MM full probing (like click
to scan for new hardware) which would then build a MM white-list to be used
in the future. Maybe this would even tie into a saved bearer config(?) and
after that you'd fall back to the fast/less intrusive white-list. The NM
applet could allow re-scan's for future hardware additions/removal. In this
way you'd solve the hot MM issue of preventing the full udev probing yet MM
still wouldn't have to try and maintain the impossible task of a udev
whitelist for every modem out there. I'd be glad to try this and jump into
the NM stuff if there was interest, though I can't say I'd ever get it out
in a timely fashion. Thoughts?

Anyways, our CI has run the white-list feature many times and it's working
reliably for us. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Matt