Toby-L201 connect failure Ubuntu 18.04 Modem Manager 1.10.6 Linux Kernel Version 4.20.7

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue Dec 10 09:23:38 UTC 2019

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 9:11 AM Ulrich Mohr <u.mohr at semex-engcon.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not sure, but I think that this is a problem with the UBlox modems I was facing before with a TOBY 210.
>
> The problem is that the modem does an automatic registration on the LTE network using its default APN (that it gets from the network, when I understand right). That is what you see (m2m.com.attz.mnc170.mcc310.gprs) as context 4:  (which is the default LTE bearer on TOBY). Unfortunately, that does not match the one your have given manually, so ModemManager tries to build up a connection using the secondary context with the APN settings you have given -- which fails, because the service provider does not allow a secondary connection while the first one is active.
>
> What I am not completely clear about is, under which circumstances you get such a long default APN name (not matching the 'official' ones) from the network.

The "long" name you get is when the bearer is already connected to
that APN, so the name includes the MCCMNC of the operator.
ModemManager already does a "loose" matching of the APNs and they
should already match that one in context 4 if available:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/ModemManager/blob/master/src/mm-modem-helpers.c#L1506

As you said, MM should have attempted to use context #4 instead of #1
as #4 was already connected. The problem is that the logic looking for
which context to use stops as soon as it finds a matching one, and in
this case it found #1 before #4. We could extend the logic to "prefer"
an APN that is reported with MCCMNC if there are more than one
matching, and I believe that should work.

> @Aleksander: See https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/modemmanager-devel/2018-August/006633.html
>
> I heavily change the ublox plugin to work around that -- unfortunately I never found the time to bring it to a deliverable state, and at the moment, I can't even remember what exactly I did. But I can provide the sources if needed....

Yes, please, can you do that?