ModemManager: symbol lookup error: ModemManager: undefined symbol: qmi_client_loc_register_events_finish

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Mar 5 17:09:30 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-03-05 at 11:55 -0500, Cathy Logan wrote:
> Hi All -
> New to ModemManager and this list. Got ModemManager to successfully
> make
> and make install with no errors.
>
> Can't seem to get it to start correctly though. Trying to run
> ModemManager
> --debug gives me the error "ModemManager: symbol lookup error:
> ModemManager: undefined symbol:
> qmi_client_loc_register_events_finish" .

That function exists in libqmi 1.22 and later. Perhaps your
ModemManager build was done against a recent-enough libqmi, but now at
runtime it's only finding an older one? What does:

ldd /usr/sbin/ModemManager  | grep libqmi

say? For example, mine says:

/lib64/libqmi-glib.so.5

so then I:

objdump -T /lib64/libqmi-glib.so.5 | grep qmi_client_loc_register_events_finish

If you don't get a hit in that libqmi-glib.so then yeah, it's using the
wrong library version at runtime. Did you also install the updated
libqmi with the right --prefix specified at configure time?

(if any of this is unclear, let me know and I can explain more)

Dan