--firmware-list crashes modemmanager?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Sun Nov 17 09:51:09 UTC 2019

Amol Lad <Amol.Lad at 4rf.com> writes:

> Surprising; I'm kind of sure there is a crash when running
> --firmware-list command. I'm using Sierra EM7430 in MBIM mode. qmicli
> output is below. What is your configuration?

I'm using a Sierra EM7565 in QMI mode on OpenWrt.  There's only one
image installed.  The qmicli output matches the mmcli output:

root at wrt1900ac-1:~# qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-list-stored-images
[/dev/cdc-wdm0] Device list of stored images retrieved:

        [0] Type:    'modem'
            Maximum: '4'

                [modem0]
                Unique ID:     '?_?'
                Build ID:      '01.09.04.00_?'
                Storage index: '1'
                Failure count: '0'

        [1] Type:    'pri'
            Maximum: '50'

                [pri0]
                Unique ID:     '002.019_000'
                Build ID:      '01.09.04.00_GENERIC'

I guess the MBIM vs QMI difference is the important point here.  I
didn't know ModemManager supported firmware management in MBIM mode?  Or
maybe it doesn't, but bugs out for some reason?

I'm using an EM7455 in MBIM mode in my laptop (Debian on x86_64), and
mmcli fails to list any images there - without crashing:

 bjorn at miraculix:~$ mmcli -m 2 --firmware-list
 error: couldn't list firmware images: 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Error.Core.Unsupported: Cannot list firmware: operation not supported'

This is with a current master branch snapshot, so I guess there are some
fixes since the 1.12 release used in OpenWrt.  Or maybe the problem
related to handling dbus call errors in OpenWrt?

Bjørn