--firmware-list crashes modemmanager?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Sun Nov 17 14:30:49 UTC 2019

Hey,

> > Surprising; I'm kind of sure there is a crash when running
> > --firmware-list command. I'm using Sierra EM7430 in MBIM mode. qmicli
> > output is below. What is your configuration?
>

> I'm using a Sierra EM7565 in QMI mode on OpenWrt.  There's only one
> image installed.  The qmicli output matches the mmcli output:
>
> root at wrt1900ac-1:~# qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-list-stored-images
> [/dev/cdc-wdm0] Device list of stored images retrieved:
>
>         [0] Type:    'modem'
>             Maximum: '4'
>
>                 [modem0]
>                 Unique ID:     '?_?'
>                 Build ID:      '01.09.04.00_?'
>                 Storage index: '1'
>                 Failure count: '0'
>
>         [1] Type:    'pri'
>             Maximum: '50'
>
>                 >>>>>>>>>> [CURRENT] <<<<<<<<<<
>                 [pri0]
>                 Unique ID:     '002.019_000'
>                 Build ID:      '01.09.04.00_GENERIC'
>

> I guess the MBIM vs QMI difference is the important point here.  I
> didn't know ModemManager supported firmware management in MBIM mode?  Or
> maybe it doesn't, but bugs out for some reason?

MM doesn't current support firmware image management in MBIM mode
(although it could for QMI-capable MBIM modems...). This totally looks
like MM may be crashing due to some unexpected error somewhere.

Amol, could you build with debug symbols and run under gdb to see if
we can catch a proper trace when MM crashes?