How can I create modem object when in "failed" state?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Nov 22 10:04:47 UTC 2019

> Hi again, I found my mistake. The modem is indeed created just like it should, even when in "failed" state. Sorry for that.
> There's something else I'd like to understand, also in the matter of working with sims -
> I couldn't find any signal which can tell me that a new sim inserted in a modem which was simless at first. Is there something like this that I miss?

SIM hotplug management is not available in all modems, only in some of
them (e.g. Telit, all MBIM modems...) and also please note that the
SIM detection lines should be properly wired in the hardware for that
to work.

When there is no SIM and a new SIM is inserted, and assuming hotplug
is supported properly, what you will see is the modem object in failed
state going away, and a new modem object will appear that is no longer
in failed state. i.e. there is no signal reporting "now a sim is
available"; instead the full modem object is recreated.