Configuration file for ModemManager

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Jul 24 09:35:38 UTC 2020

Hey Brendan,

> Is there a configuration file for ModemManager?

Nope, no there isn't.

> I'm using Debian Buster.  With Network Manager there is the following.
>
> /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
> /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/
>
> I can control the log level of NetworkManager by adding a file in the `conf.d/` directory.
>
> However I cannot find a way of changing the logging level of ModemManager, that is easy to do and system independent.
> The only way I can do it is by modifying the systemd service script provided by Debian.
> Well, copy that script to /etc/systemd/system/ and modify it.
>
> Still I prefer to not have to modify systemd scripts directly.
>
> Is there anyway to control the logging level for ModemManager with a user configuration files ??

You can always change the logging level of the daemon via mmcli, e.g.
"mmcli -G DEBUG", but you would need to do this every time MM is
started.

I don't think anyone is against a config file, but for now we've
always preferred to provide command line options in the daemon itself.
Not that we have many different settings in the daemon anyway.