Quectel Modem - SA connection establishment

Reinhard Speyerer rspmn at arcor.de
Fri Oct 16 13:40:51 UTC 2020

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 08:46:30AM +0000, Federico Murciano wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> We are trying to set up a standalone connection between our Quectel Modem RG500QEA_VH or RM500 but after inserting the SIM card we dont receive any signal. Do we need to make some special configuration for using standalone mode? We are trying to connect to a private standalone base station owned by a research company in Berlin and they cant help us as they also did not manage yet to connect with the modems they have. Thanks in advance.

Hi Federico,

there is at least one RM500Q user who was able to do so, see
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/libqmi/-/issues/32 .

For the engineering samples from that time there were
separate firmware versions for 5G-NSA and 5G-SA available.

AFAIK current devices should be able to support 5G-NSA and 5G-SA with the
same firmware but not all bands/modes might be supported yet. If you are
using a NR FDD band try switching to a NR TDD band or vice versa.

Regards,
Reinhard