ModemManager 1.14.2 Setup - undefined symbol error and/or 'libmbim-glib.la' was moved error
dani.anderson at strath.ac.uk
Thu Oct 22 11:55:15 UTC 2020
Thank-you for your advice. We've managed to install version 1.14.2 with no further issues following the steps you outlined.
Unfortunately, when using the software, we didn't quite get the result that we were hoping for - our modem reported capability is still only shown as being 4g when we would expect/hope to see 5gnr.
We're working with the SIMCOM8200-M2 unit (https://www.simcom.com/product/SIM8200-M2_series.html)
We think this issue might be related to the qmi driver rather than a problem with ModemManager.
We received a qmi_wwan driver for the module from the manufacturer that we haven't installed yet.
We didn't need to do this update when doing operations in LTE (which was using MM 1.12.8) as everything was happy with the default drivers.
We have a functioning gNB in our lab, which the modem will connect to (verified by the gNB / 5GPC and the modem using AT Commands) but we can't "share" this connectivity with the compute platform connected to the modem.
Is there anything that you could maybe suggest to address this?
I appreciate this might not be specifically about ModemManager anymore.
Any help or advice is much appreciated.
University of Strathclyde
From: Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es>
Sent: 22 October 2020 09:17
To: Dani Anderson <dani.anderson at strath.ac.uk>
Cc: modemmanager-devel at lists.freedesktop.org; Douglas Allan <d.allan at strath.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: ModemManager 1.14.2 Setup - undefined symbol error and/or 'libmbim-glib.la' was moved error
> And repeated the installation with
Yes, this is the correct way to do it in Ubuntu.
i.e. ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
> CC mm-helper-enums-types.lo
> CCLD libhelpers.la
> /usr/bin/grep: /usr/lib/libmbim-glib.la: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/libmbim-glib.la: No such file or
> libtool: error: '/usr/lib/libmbim-glib.la' is not a valid libtool archive
That is attempting to locate libraries from your previous install? I assume there was some "uninstall" not done properly.
If you want a clean uninstall from /usr/lib, try to do the steps from scratch again using --libdir=/usr/lib (the wrong path), e.g. for all libmbim, libqmi and ModemManager:
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib && make -j8 && sudo make install Once you have installed all, you can uninstall starting from ModemManager, then libqmi, then libmbim:
$ sudo make uninstall
That previous command will also remove things like qmicli or the actual MM daemon, but don't worry.
And then, repeat the process but using the correct libdir in Ubuntu, e.g.:
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ && make -j8 && sudo make install
Anyway, your original problem where you installed in /usr/lib and then MM or other programs were reporting missing symbols are because Ubuntu will look first for libraries in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ and if they're not found it will look for them in /usr/lib. In your case, the system-installed library was in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ already so the program didn't try to load the new one you had in /usr/lib. To solve this, either install with libdir in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ as explained, or you could also run your programs manually specifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib to override the system default.
More information about the ModemManager-devel