[RFC] Exposing profiles (provisioned contexts) in the API

Giacinto Cifelli gciofono at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 11:53:32 UTC 2021

Hi Aleksander, all,

for Cinterion modems that support the profiles, there is a special
command to read them (ATI61, no mbim equivalent, maybe qmi but I
wouldn't know it; and an at^scfg? option to read the current one) as a
list and would fit well with option 2.
The second option would also sit better in the context of a get/set
option, because clearly option 3 wouldn't set it globally, and option
1 would be just informative.

For Cinterion modems, the profiles have been experimented with for a
few years, so old modems restart when a new profile is selected (for
example, the PLAS9-X).
Also, for all Cinterion modems supporting profile selection, they are
normally in automatic mode and the property is indeed read-only.  It
becomes writeable by changing the flag automatic/manual.

I don't know exactly how other manufacturers work, but there are
chances that it is implemented in a similar way, because the profiles
were introduced by the chipset manufactures (initially) to deal with
the various VoLTE flavours.

Best Regards,
Giacinto