Cinterion MV31-W modem support

ROSTANSKI Tomasz tomasz.rostanski at thalesgroup.com
Fri Jul 30 13:35:27 UTC 2021

The Modem is in fact Thales Cinterion:
https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/markets/digital-identity-and-security/iot/iot-connectivity/products/iot-products/mv31-w-ultra-high
and reports with thales vendor id.

-----Original Message-----
From: Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es>
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2021 3:26 PM
To: Lars Melin <larsm17 at gmail.com>
Cc: ROSTANSKI Tomasz <tomasz.rostanski at thalesgroup.com>; modemmanager-devel at lists.freedesktop.org
Subject: Re: Cinterion MV31-W modem support

> >       static const gchar *vendor_strings[] = { "cinterion", "siemens", NULL };
> > -    static const guint16 vendor_ids[] = { 0x1e2d, 0x0681, 0 };
> > +    static const guint16 vendor_ids[] = { 0x1e2d, 0x0681, 0x1269, 0
> > + };
>
> Don't you have to add an entry to the vendor_strings when you add a
> vendor_id?

vendor_strings is only used for pure RS232 modems, as we match the plugin to use based on that vendor string, instead of using the vid:pid. If the modem is not supposed to be pure RS232, there is no need to add the string.

But anyway, the newly added vid is really the Thales PCI id 0x1269 (correct me if wrong) vs the Cinterion USB id 0x1e2d; the vendor string would be the same, because the manufacturer is still reported as Cinterion.