Need help troubleshooting Quectel EG25 modem in Pine64 Pinephone

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon Jun 14 08:55:39 UTC 2021

Hey,

> > Can you run "AT+CGDCONT?" with minicom (or otherwise, running> ModemManager with --debug and then mmcli --command="AT+CGDCONT?")
>
> Here's the output of atinout:
>
> ```
> $ echo "AT+CGDCONT?" | sudo atinout - /dev/ttyUSB2 -
>
> ERROR
> ```

This does not make any sense

> I confirmed that /dev/ttyUSB2 is the right device, as it responds with
> "OK" to "AT".
>

> > Can you run these qmicli commands?
> > qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --wds-get-profile-list=3gpp
>
> $ sudo qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --wds-get-profile-list=3gpp
> Profile list retrieved:
>         [1] 3gpp -
>                 APN: ''
>                 PDP type: 'ipv4-or-ipv6'
>                 PDP context number: '1'
>                 Username: ''
>                 Password: ''
>                 Auth: 'none'
>                 No roaming: 'no'
>                 APN disabled: 'no'
>         [2] 3gpp -
>                 APN: 'ims'
>                 PDP type: 'ipv4-or-ipv6'
>                 PDP context number: '2'
>                 Username: ''
>                 Password: ''
>                 Auth: 'none'
>                 No roaming: 'no'
>                 APN disabled: 'no'
>         [3] 3gpp -
>                 APN: ''
>                 PDP type: 'ipv4-or-ipv6'
>                 PDP context number: '3'
>                 Username: ''
>                 Password: ''
>                 Auth: 'none'
>                 No roaming: 'no'
>                 APN disabled: 'no'
>

> Well that looks pretty empty... Is this user-configurable, or does
> mmcli fill these in for me?

Those are the settings stored inside the module. They should have
reported the same info as "AT+CGDCONT?".

> > qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --wds-get-lte-attach-pdn-list
>
> $ sudo qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --wds-get-lte-attach-pdn-list
> Attach PDN list retrieved:
>         Current list: '1'
>         Pending list: n/a
>

> > If your SIM card is O2 but the registration in the O2 network is not
> > working, it may still be the initial EPS bearer settings, I think you
> > should focus on debugging that.
> >

> That's what "--3gpp-set-initial-eps-bearer-settings" is for, right? Is
> there any other command that deals with the initial EPS bearer
> settings?
>
> It seems to me that merely entering the APN for the initial bearer
> settings doesn't change anything, and I don't know which ip-types or
> authentications this provider supports.

You need to know what your provider expects as initial APN settings.

> I have tried some, and for some
> combinations a "--3gpp-register-home" tells me it connected
> successfully, while in mmcli I still see that it's connected to the
> wrong operator.

The "--3gpp-register-home" option instructs the modem to automatically
select which is the best network to register to. If there are more
than one suitable networks and it failed to register in one of them it
may have tried to register in a different one.

> In fact today it has already connected to every
> operator except the one I'd need it to. I also still can't enforce it.

The registration in a given operator is mandated by what your SIM card
dictates. ModemManager doesn't do any explicit attempt to register in
a given operator by itself; if you set it to "auto"
(--3gpp-register-home), the modem will try to do what's best for you.

> Is there something like a command to generate a full dump of all
> settings that mmcli works with, such that I could ask someone with a
> working modem on the same provider to show me their settings?

There is no such thing as "settings mmcli works with"; all the
settings are inside the modem, and you already listed the ones in
yours with the qmicli wds profile list. The settings being used for
initial APN are the ones in profile #1 (as per your
--wds-get-lte-attach-pdn-list call).

So what you're using as settings is the empty APN and IPv4v6. If your
network requires an specific initial APN you need to configure that in
that profile, with --3gpp-set-initial-eps-bearer-settings