Need help troubleshooting Quectel EG25 modem in Pine64 Pinephone

Andreas Hartmann hartan at 7x.de
Sun Jun 13 07:23:52 UTC 2021

Hello,

> Can you run "AT+CGDCONT?" with minicom (or otherwise, running> ModemManager with --debug and then mmcli --command="AT+CGDCONT?")

Here's the output of atinout:

```
$ echo "AT+CGDCONT?" | sudo atinout - /dev/ttyUSB2 -

ERROR
```

I confirmed that /dev/ttyUSB2 is the right device, as it responds with
"OK" to "AT".

> Can you run these qmicli commands?
> qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --wds-get-profile-list=3gpp

$ sudo qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --wds-get-profile-list=3gpp
Profile list retrieved:
	[1] 3gpp -
		APN: ''
		PDP type: 'ipv4-or-ipv6'
		PDP context number: '1'
		Username: ''
		Password: ''
		Auth: 'none'
		No roaming: 'no'
		APN disabled: 'no'
	[2] 3gpp -
		APN: 'ims'
		PDP type: 'ipv4-or-ipv6'
		PDP context number: '2'
		Username: ''
		Password: ''
		Auth: 'none'
		No roaming: 'no'
		APN disabled: 'no'
	[3] 3gpp -
		APN: ''
		PDP type: 'ipv4-or-ipv6'
		PDP context number: '3'
		Username: ''
		Password: ''
		Auth: 'none'
		No roaming: 'no'
		APN disabled: 'no'

Well that looks pretty empty... Is this user-configurable, or does
mmcli fill these in for me?

> qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --wds-get-lte-attach-pdn-list

$ sudo qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --wds-get-lte-attach-pdn-list
Attach PDN list retrieved:
	Current list: '1'
	Pending list: n/a

> If your SIM card is O2 but the registration in the O2 network is not
> working, it may still be the initial EPS bearer settings, I think you
> should focus on debugging that.

That's what "--3gpp-set-initial-eps-bearer-settings" is for, right? Is
there any other command that deals with the initial EPS bearer
settings?

It seems to me that merely entering the APN for the initial bearer
settings doesn't change anything, and I don't know which ip-types or
authentications this provider supports. I have tried some, and for some
combinations a "--3gpp-register-home" tells me it connected
successfully, while in mmcli I still see that it's connected to the
wrong operator. In fact today it has already connected to every
operator except the one I'd need it to. I also still can't enforce it.

Is there something like a command to generate a full dump of all
settings that mmcli works with, such that I could ask someone with a
working modem on the same provider to show me their settings?
Or maybe something like a full reset of all prior configurations?

Thank you!

Andreas