[RFC] Keeping send-delay for all RS232 ttys only?

Giacinto Cifelli gciofono at gmail.com
Tue May 4 03:56:06 UTC 2021

Hi Aleksander,

100ms between characters seems excessive.
In general there are the RTS/CTS on the serial line and on the virtual
serial over usb (supported by option and acm drivers) for this.
A stripped down RS232 with only TX/RX/GND could need some delay, but
it is very difficult to guess how much: in this case it would be
better to have it as a parameter.

Some modems require a different delay: between the last answer and the
following command, to have time to output some URCs in between.
At least for Cinterion modems, they don't output URCs between a
command and its response, so they must be given a chance.
The Cinterion ATC guides always specify 100ms, but it turns out that
1-2ms are enough.

Regards,
Giacinto