When to call SetInitialEpsBearerSettings

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon May 10 09:21:56 UTC 2021

Hey,

> We are using SetInitialEpsBearerSettings to set the default-attach APN for some carriers. When the user manually changes from an APN which is not Attach to an Attach one(or vice versa), we disable the modem and re-enable it to have a clean slate.
> This works fine, except that sometimes after re-enabling the modem, the 3GPP registration state changes to `registering` before shill(network manager) receives the 3gpp Properties change from MM which allows shill to select the best APN including the ones returned by MM. This means that shill doesn't have enough time to set the InitialEpsBearerSettings before MM tries to register.
>
> What should be the correct flow to set InitialEpsBearerSettings so MM always uses those settings?

The SetInitialEpsBearerSettings() procedure does an implicit power
down always before changing the settings, so that when powering up
again (and re-registering to the network) the correct initial EPS
bearer settings are used, see  e.g. in the QMI implementation:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/ModemManager/-/blob/master/src/mm-broadband-modem-qmi.c#L8908

That means that you should be able to run the method at any time,
there should be no need to e.g. disable + power down + enable before
running SetInitialEpsBearerSettings(), that would be a bit strange as
you would really be powering down twice.

Can you retry your tests without the additional disable + power down +
enable sequence?