Snapdragon X55 (Thinkpad X1 Nano w/5G Modem)

Oskar Stenman oskar at cetex.se
Tue May 11 22:06:18 UTC 2021

Thanks for the feedback!

I tried compiling that cuskit patch, but my laptop crashed and no matter
what i did i ended up with segfaults. Apparently i've been hit by a
kernel-bug which sidetracked me about 10 hours:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2021/5/9/67
No wonder the produced binaries were throwing segfaults and my browser
suddenly bailed out.. When inspecting stuff manually lots of the data
written recently was just utter garbage..

With that sorted (reverted the mentioned commit, cloned git repos again) I
patched mainline libqmi with the two commits you had, compiled and
installed everything into default prefix /usr/local.

After that i could run:
$ sudo qmicli -p -d /dev/wwan0p2MBIM --device-open-mbim
--dms-dell-cuskit-unlock=00
[11 maj 2021, 23:42:36] -Warning ** [/dev/wwan0p2MBIM] couldn't detect
transport type of port: couldn't detect device driver
[11 maj 2021, 23:42:36] -Warning ** [/dev/wwan0p2MBIM] requested MBIM mode
but unexpected transport type found
[/dev/wwan0p2MBIM] Successfully run Dell cuskit unlock

I've attached the log from ModemManager and i can see a ton of stuff
happening after i send that command with cuskit, but i haven't had time to
go through it in detail yet. I did see "registered" in the logs though so
i'm hoping we're making progress, although I don't know for sure..
For some reason NetworkManager isn't detecting the interface so i can't
test it. (I tried simple-connect with modem-manager but that failed, seems
like simple-connect isn't supported by the card?)

I have tried adding a GSM connection:
$ nmcli conn add type gsm ifname mhi_mbim0 con-name wwan gsm.apn data.tre.se
gsm.pin 7470

But when i try to set it up I get:
$ nmcli conn up wwan
Error: Connection activation failed: No suitable device found for this
connection (device lo not available because device is strictly unmanaged).

NM Logs:
maj 11 23:56:25 oskar-ThinkPad-X1-Nano-Gen-1 NetworkManager[6819]: <info>
[1620770185.8352] agent-manager:
agent[f39cf2afba99de1f,:1.157/nmcli-connect/1000]: agent registered
maj 11 23:56:25 oskar-ThinkPad-X1-Nano-Gen-1 NetworkManager[6819]: <info>
[1620770185.8369] audit: op="connection-activate"
uuid="e4abc9b5-fe8d-420b-923a-3e5184c5746b" name="wwan" result="fail"
reason="No suitable device found for this connection (device lo not
available because device is strictly unmanaged)."

I'm not sure why NetworkManager isn't detecting the interface.. Maybe some
issue with where plugins are installed? (I assume there's a new plugin
somewhere)

/Oskar