text mode SMS

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Wed Nov 10 08:24:14 UTC 2021

Hey Ralf,

> as far as i understand adding a udev tag would basically remove the PDU SMS capability from a specific modem.
> Wouldn't it make more sense to add an option to mmcli like --smsmode=<text/pdu> which would default to <pdu>?

I don't see it as a property of the SMS message, because if I
understand it correctly, the message will anyway be encoded as a PDU
by the time it hits the radio network (so the text to PDU conversion
is done by the modem itself, not by ModemManager). That's why I
suggested a udev tag, because this is a manual workaround to apply on
specific setups. Maybe your issue is not related to the mode used when
sending the SMS with AT commands, and is more related to how the SMS
PDU is being built by MM (e.g. encoding used and such).