text mode SMS

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon Nov 15 10:08:43 UTC 2021

Hey!

> after further investigation i finally found the problem. First of all you are perfectly right text/pdu mode is not the issue here. The actual issue was that mmcli sends SMS from a file in 8-bit encoding while message text given on the command line is send in 7-bit encoding.

Ahhh, yes yes, that makes total sense now. Yes, mmcli will use 8bit
encoding when sending an SMS with the contents of an external file.

> The recipient selects AT+CSCS="GSM" and the modem in use (don't know which one it is) then falls back to AT+CSCS="HEX" automatically which at first glance looked like a PDU mode SMS in the log files.

Yep.

> Is there an option to select the character encoding when using mmcli?

Not right now, although I wouldn't mind having a new option to ask
mmcli to read the text contents from an external file; e.g.
    --messaging-create-sms-with-text=PATH
The given file should have contents in UTF-8.

See https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/ModemManager/-/issues/275#note_682287

Patches welcome :)

Otherwise, you can always create the SMS using the "text=XXX" key in
--messaging-create-sms; that will create PDUs with either ASCII or
UCS-2 encoding, depending on the text given.