Modifying IP configuration hosts

Carlos Ravelo cravelo35 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 11:51:42 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I have been testing a Quectel RG50xQ module with ModemManager 1.16.6 and
everything works great, but I have noticed that my device gets an IP
configuration with a subnet that can be /28, /29, /30 depending on the IP,
and sets a default gateway. This tests are within a private APN with fixed
IP addresses per SIM. For example:

mmcli -b 0
  ------------------------------------
  General      |           path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Bearer/0
                     |           type: default
  ------------------------------------
  Status         |      connected: yes
                     |      suspended: no
                     |      interface: wwan0
                     |     ip timeout: 20
  ------------------------------------
  Properties   |       apn: sa.pn5g.p2p
                     |        roaming: allowed
                     |        ip type: ipv4
  ------------------------------------
  IPv4 configuration
                     |        method: static
                     |        address: 10.111.1.5
                     |        prefix: 30
                     |        gateway: 10.111.1.6
                     |        dns: 85.62.229.135
                     |        mtu: 1500

I am pretty sure that this behaviour is not specific to ModemManager, but
is there a way to change this configuration? In this network we have peer
to peer enabled but because of this network settings we cannot communicate
10.111.1.5 with 10.111.1.4 for example.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos