Modifying IP configuration hosts

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Thu Nov 25 20:42:23 UTC 2021

Hey Carlos,

> I have been testing a Quectel RG50xQ module with ModemManager 1.16.6 and everything works great, but I have noticed that my device gets an IP configuration with a subnet that can be /28, /29, /30 depending on the IP, and sets a default gateway. This tests are within a private APN with fixed IP addresses per SIM. For example:
>
> mmcli -b 0
>   ------------------------------------
>   General      |           path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Bearer/0
>                      |           type: default
>   ------------------------------------
>   Status         |      connected: yes
>                      |      suspended: no
>                      |      interface: wwan0
>                      |     ip timeout: 20
>   ------------------------------------
>   Properties   |       apn: sa.pn5g.p2p
>                      |        roaming: allowed
>                      |        ip type: ipv4
>   ------------------------------------
>   IPv4 configuration
>                      |        method: static
>                      |        address: 10.111.1.5
>                      |        prefix: 30
>                      |        gateway: 10.111.1.6
>                      |        dns: 85.62.229.135
>                      |        mtu: 1500
>
> I am pretty sure that this behaviour is not specific to ModemManager, but is there a way to change this configuration? In this network we have peer to peer enabled but because of this network settings we cannot communicate 10.111.1.5 with 10.111.1.4 for example.

This is not something that we can change in ModemManager; we just
expose what the modem tells us to use, which in turn is received from
the network.
But you're free to add additional routing rules for a wider netmask
really in the host itself. I'd guess the problem here is the
forwarding in the gateway, not so much in the settings of the
different network elements.