Lenovo/Foxconn Snapdragon X55 connection issues w/ newer firmware versions

Thilo-Alexander Ginkel thilo at ginkel.com
Mon Nov 29 23:30:57 UTC 2021

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 9:09 PM Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es>
wrote:

> So it may really be that they've changed the unlock method already :/
> Are you able to flash back v48, or is the downgrade path not possible?

Fortunately, I can downgrade (via a Windows installation I have on a USB
disk).

> My firmware version in the SDX55 I have is T99W175.F0.0.0.5.8.TF.007.
>
> Could you run this just to confirm?
> $ sudo qmicli -d /dev/wwan0mbim0 -p --dms-foxconn-set-fcc-authentication=0
> -v

That seems unsuccessful:

error: couldn't run Foxconn FCC authentication: QMI protocol error (17):
'MissingArgument'

Complete output attached.

> Regarding the lenovo-wwan-dpr in https://snapcraft.io/lenovo-wwan-dpr,
> does it help to unlock the module in the newer firmware versions?

Nope, unfortunately not, it apparently refuses to do its work:

2021-11-30T00:03:10+01:00 DPR_wwan[4779]: get_product(): WWAN DPR
functionality is not supported in this product

When I have a look at the decompiled DPR_wwan binary from the snap, they
seem to have a product whitelist that does not include the X1E4.

If the whitelist wasn't in place, they'd invoke some binary (the name of
which I can't seem to figure out due to obfuscation or
compiler optimization) with a --dms-set-bios-lock flag.

I will leave v51 in place in case there is anything I can do to debug the
situation. I may need some guidance, though.

Regards,
Thilo