Signal quality not updated with Quectel EG25 through QMI

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Oct 1 22:17:49 UTC 2021

Hey,

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 5:52 PM Frederic Martinsons
<frederic.martinsons at sigfox.com> wrote:

> Last try of the day, I built a ModemManager with WITH_NEWEST_QMI_COMMANDS enable and things goes pretty well since I got lot of more update than before (see log joined)
>
> Looking at the code implied, this is expected because there are more thresholds and they have better granularity ({ -100, -97, -95, -92, -90, -85, -80, -75, -70, -65 })

Yep.

> Anyway, all of that seems to behave as expected (considering signal thresholds configured), maybe I just have to review the need for my application to have an "up to date" (whatever it means) signal quality information.
>
> One last question though, what is the drawbacks of using newest QMI commands ? Is this is experimental ? What I risk if I choose to use it (since my system must support a large variety of modem type and not  just the EC25 one) ?

There are setups out there that have been using this for a very long
time, so I wouldn't call it experimental. I rarely, if ever, test with
this code path, truth be told. What we need to do is combine both
together; i.e. use the newest commands by default and fallback to the
old ones if any error is seen with the newest ones.