Supported 5G modems

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Sun Mar 6 15:22:56 UTC 2022

"Hugo Osvaldo Barrera" <hugo at whynothugo.nl> writes:

> Thanks for the pointers. I figured out I can make M.2 work, but from what
> I see, these have an eSIM, and I'm not sure they have a regular [nano]sim
> slot. Doesn't this imply that I cannot simply put a SIM card that my ISP
> gives me?

The SIM slots are part of the host system and connecting to the modem
via the m.2 key B slot.  USB to m.2 key B adapter will usually have one
or two SIM slots for example.

But do note the modem power requirements before you run off buying such
an adapter.  You'll need more than a single USB port can deliver for any
5G modem.  And the adapter need a beefy 3.3V regulator if the power
supply is 5V or higher (which it obviously will be if the power comes
from USB).

There are modems with eSIMs too, but AFAIK all of them have signals for
at least one external SIM via the m.2 connector so you don't have to use
the eSIM

Bjørn