Sierra WP7607 doesn't register

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon May 16 08:03:53 UTC 2022

Hey!

> story continues,
> we have reset the initial-apn but the behavior stays the same
>
> modem in enabled, it goes to registered from time to time but it's
> really fragile
>
> oh, now it's in registered state (log in mm2.log)
>
> but more often it's just in enabled and cannot be registered via
> mmcli -m 8 --3gpp-register-home (log in mm.log)
>
> is there anything we can do about it? We have yateBTS LTE labKIT BTS
> and sierra 7455 registers just fine. These problems are affecting
> sierra 7608/7607 on mangOH board.
>
> firmwares updated to latest.
>
> ok, when in registered let's create a nmcli gsm profile for it and up
> it.
>
> nmcli  connection add type gsm  ifname cdc-wdm0 apn ' ' con-name gsm
> state: searching again and no luck (log in mm3.log)
>
> could you see anything wrong in general there?

Don't see anything strange protocol wise, the modem seems to be
getting registered at some point, but very briefly, and otherwise
stays searching.

How are you connecting the modem to the BTS? I assume it's through
antennas and the modem is very close to the BTS? I can see -34dBm RSSI
reported, which is an extremely good signal, I wonder if it's too good
:) Try maybe to put the modem a bit further away?

Also, what does the BTS tell you? Can you gather info about why this
device registration is failing? E.g. is it that the network is sending
a rejection error to the modem (don't think so, because we print the
network reject indications) or is it some other reason?