broadband-modem-mbim related questions

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon May 16 14:23:28 UTC 2022

Hey!

On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 3:35 PM Wassenberg, Dennis
<Dennis.Wassenberg at secunet.com> wrote:

> Hi again ;)
>
> sorry, in the first mail my expression was not clear enough.
>
> I am referring to the new "Intel" plugin (intel/mm-plugin-intel.c) based on intel/broadband-modem-mbim-intel.c.

The Intel plugin is for Intel-branded MBIM modems. Is it that the
Fibocom L860 exposes itself with the intel vendor id in PCI mode?

> Looking at branch mm-1-18 this plugin seems to be not available now. This is available in main branch only. This implies
> that there is no tagged release available yet.
>
> Having this in mind, I would like to repeat my two questions:
>
> Is there a recommendation which ModemManager, libmbim, libqmi version to use or should we just pick the most current
> main branch?

If you want the Intel plugin, better rely on git main branch then.

> I there a schedule of a stable version (1.18.10, 1.20.0 ?) available which includes support of the "Intel" plugin?

The Intel plugin will get into 1.20, whenever that is. It could be
backported to 1.18, but that means quite more work.

Regarding schedule, I think a 1.20 release around June would make
sense. There are a ton of new things already, especially in the MBIM
support with the inclusion of the Microsoft Extended services up to
v3.0. If anyone is eager to have the new release soon, please test git
main as much as you can. I don't think I'll be able to perform all the
detailed testing I did for the 1.18 release (took me almost 1 month!)