Differentiate between Cat-M and NB-IoT

Fredrik Flornes Ellertsen fellerts at fastmail.com
Mon Nov 7 16:17:08 UTC 2022

Hi Aleksander,

> Could you let us know which modem you're using and which commands (AT
> commands I assume) can be used to query whether Cat-M, Cat-1 and/or
> NB-IoT are supported, and how to change them?

I'm targeting Fibocom MA510/MC610 modems. Unfortunately the AT command manual is
confidential so I can't share the details, but suffice it to say that there
exists a command +FOO:
 - AT+FOO=... will set the current and preferred access technologies (AcTs).
 - AT+FOO? will get the current and preferred AcTs.
 - AT+FOO=? will list all supported AcTs.
The AcT list enumerates GSM, LTE, eMTC, NB-IoT, Automatic, and sensible
combinations of those.

I hope this is sufficient to describe where I'm at.

Thanks a lot!
Fredrik