Auto-enabling modems

Sven Schwermer sven at svenschwermer.de
Fri Oct 28 11:52:09 UTC 2022

Hi,

I have yet another question around the Fibocom MA510 modem. I'm
observing an issue where the modem is in registered state when
ModemManager starts up. MM ignores this due to

3GPP registration state change ignored as modem isn't enabled (line 832)

MM then triggers an automatic network registration (+COPS=0, line 937)
and then immediately proceeds with connecting since the modem reports
+COPS: 0,0,"...",7. The modem appears to be slow in reacting to the
+COPS=0 because right after the connection is up, we get +CEREG: 0 (line
1072) and NW DETACH.

I have 2 questions around this:
1. Is it possible to initialize the modem as enabled if it's already
registered automatically? Then we wouldn't have to trigger an automatic
network registration which would speed all of this up significantly.
2. Is the modem misbehaving after the first +COPS=0 when it only emits
+CEREG: 0 some seconds later? How can we handle this properly?

Best regards,
Sven