ModemManager IPv4v6 version 1.12.2

Robin Robin at drrobin.co.uk
Fri Oct 28 09:29:55 UTC 2022

I have a problem with ModemManager, but only when trying to get an IPv4
address when the network only supports IPv6 (Dual Stack, using IPv4v6).

I have two different systems:

- one running OpenWRT v19 and ModemManager v1.12.2
- the second system running OpenWRT v21 and ModemManager v1.16.2

If I set both systems up the same (EE SIM, ipv4v6) then
- the v19/v1.12.2 system will only obtain an IPv6 address.  (IPv6 works
correctly, but not IPv4)
- the v21/v1.16.2 system will obtain both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. (Both
work correctly).

If I put a SIM in the v19/v1.12.2 system that only supports IPv4 it gets an
IPv4 address and works correctly.

It seems that the Dual Stack IPv4 and IPv6 is not working on the older
release of ModemManager (v1.12.2).  Is there a difference between the two
versions with regard to Dual Stack and is there something we need to include
in v1.12.2 to make Dual Stack work and give us an IPv4 address as well as an
IPv6 address?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Robin