symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/ModemManager: undefined symbol: mm_location_3gpp_set_mobile_country_code after build

roee klinger roeeklinger60 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 18:15:19 UTC 2022

Hello,

After some further testing, it seems that this is caused by installing NetworkManager via apt.

I run these commands to build and install:
> wget https://www.freedesktop.org/software/ModemManager/ModemManager-1.16.6.tar.xz
> tar -Jxvf ModemManager-1.16.6.tar.xz
> cd ModemManager-1.16.6
> apt-get install -y build-essential pkg-config libglib2.0-dev libgudev-1.0-dev libmbim-glib-dev libqmi-glib-dev
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --with-qmi --with-mbim --with-suspend-resume=systemd
> make
> make install
After that I run this to install NetworkManager without ModemManager:
> ➜ ~ apt install network-manager modemmanager-
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> network-manager is already the newest version (1.22.10-1ubuntu2.3).
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
>  libmbim-glib4 libmbim-proxy libqmi-glib5 libqmi-proxy usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data
> Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>  modemmanager
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 109 not upgraded.
> After this operation, 4,047 kB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
It seems that after that, ModemManager breaks, because the NetworkManager install is doing something to break it.

I am not sure on how to move forward, should I build NetworkManager from scratch too? or should I add some other flag to ModemManager?

Thanks,
Roee