SIM Application toolkit commands

Amol Lad Amol.Lad at 4rf.com
Thu Apr 27 08:22:07 UTC 2023

Hi,

Does ModemManager support SIM application tool kit with proactive SIM commands? My assumption is most of these SIM application tool kit commands should be handled by the modem but I'm unclear what is the role of host CPU / ModemManager in these commands? For example, many SIMs support multi-IMSI i.e. depending on the location, a particular IMSI is used for network connection. When a SIM changes its IMSI, the SIM application tool kit applet sends a REFRESH proactive command to the host device (or modem). This instructs the device to re-read the data on the SIM, including the new IMSI.

So how shall ModemManager know that IMSI has been changed and what it is supposed to do? What is the role of ModemManager in handling these commands?

Following link gives an example of multi IMSI SIMs and SIM application tool kit commands

https://www.twilio.com/docs/iot/supersim/super-sim-multi-imsi-applet

(As per the specs, list of MANDATORY application toolkit features (from ETSI TS 102 223) :-

  *   Poll Interval
  *   Status
  *   Timer
  *   Provide local information (MCC, MNCsend sms command, IMEI, NMR)
  *   Setup Menu
  *   Terminal Profile
  *   Events (timer expiration, location status)
  *   Refresh
  *   More time
)

Any advise in this regard is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Amol