Question regarding usage on laptops

Stephen Conley cheetah at tanabi.org
Tue Aug 22 13:59:30 UTC 2023

Hello folks;

First, let me apologize if this is already answered.  It "feels like" a
question that should already be answered, but I've read the docs,
searched the mailing list archives, even read through the archives a bit
...  So I have to go on the assumption that it isn't a common question.

Anyway, my desire is to take a small what-we-used-to-call "netbook"
sized laptop, such as one made by GPD, and basically turn it into a
functional "cell phone" that can make and receive calls and SMSes using
an m.2 internal card rather than some dangly dongle.

I am aware of, and own, both a Pinephone and a Pinephone Pro with
keyboard case and this is pretty close to this, but the hardware has the
worst "performance to battery life" ratio I've ever seen (almost no
performance but burns power like crazy) and I would rather have
something with a trackpad/tracknub interface instead of a touch screen.

Anyway, my questions are ...

1. There is a ton of mention about modem cards and laptops for *data*,
however I find almost no mention of calls/SMS on laptops (or the
mentions are so dilluted I can't find them).  I think, theoretically,
the same software that powers the Pinephone's ability to make/receive
calls and SMS should "just work" on a laptop too, right?  And I believe
that software is ModemManager which is why I'm posting here! :D

2. For power saving reasons, I'd want the thing to be sleeping most of
the time.  Is it possible for the modem to wake up the laptop on a
call/SMS?  This may be dependent on hardware specifics, I know, but has
anyone at least heard of this?  I can't find anything, anywhere, about this.

3. Lastly ... has anyone out there done this already and has a
recommendation for a successful combination of parts to assemble such a
thing?  My current plan is to use a spare laptop I have for
experimentation purposes, and once I have something working, find the
smallest form factor laptop I can cram the card into :)

To elaborate on [3] -- I am interested in any hardware recommendations,
even modems that are known to work particularly well, not just complete
solutions.  I've heard SierraWireless cards are really well supported
and to avoid the branded ones (i.e. the "Dell" versions and such).

Thanks so much for your time in reading this, you're helping make a
decade-or-so long dream into reality :)  If I'm able to get this to
work, I will certainly do a write-up as to how I accomplished it so the
knowledge can be passed along.

- Steve