FM350-GL (installed in ThinkPad P1 Gen 5)

Thilo-Alexander Ginkel thilo at ginkel.com
Mon Sep 11 20:48:55 UTC 2023

On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 2:45 PM Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:

> > By coincidence I spotted [2]. Could that be related? Both modems are
> > manufactured by Fibocom.
>
> Not sure.  You're not using the proxy, are you?

Not that I am aware of...

> But you could also try with the proxy.  Some USB devices aren't
> expecting clients to come and go while the MBM session is open.
> I have no idea if that's relevant to PCI, but worth testing.
>
> > P.S.: The challenge always being zero is also somewhat suspicious - I
> > haven't been able to perform a successful unlock so far.
>
> Yes. Something is obviously missing here.  Maybe the firmware expects
> this only at a certain point in the session (like immediately after
> OPEN)?  Or maybe we're decoding it wrong?  Did you look at th debug
> dump?  Or maybe the firmware wants some reqeust parameter it doesn't
> get?

Turns out the challenge needs to be requested via --set-fcc-lock=0,0.
Still, I can't get a valid unlock.

> Is this problem the same with the official Lenovo unlock tool and
> scripts?

Good question. The official beta tool does not even support my laptop model
- but I can convince it to run by bind-mounting a supported laptop's string
to /sys/class/dmi/id/product_family.

Is there a way to capture the official tool's communication? AFAICS it is
using libmbim (?) for the modem communication by calling
mbim_message_intel_mutual_authentication_fcc_lock_set_new.

Knowing a valid response for a given challenge would help validating the
hashing algorithm.

Thanks,
Thilo