How to recover from serial device being force closed.

Aleksander Morgado aleksandermj at chromium.org
Tue Jan 30 10:44:46 UTC 2024

Hey,

> In my application, I use ModemManager to connect the modem, and then I
rename the network interface to a special name that is required by another
part of my system (and change the name back if the modem disconnects).

Is it not possible to rename the interface before even MM tries to grab the
port?

We could support a patch like yours, but it seems overly complicated and
may open the door to even more complex interactions, e.g. what if someone
comes with the idea of renaming the control port instead of the net port.
I'm sure it's technically possible to do all that, but not sure how much
benefit it will bring.