Assistance Needed with SIM Card Issue Causing QMI Operation Failures

Aleksander Morgado aleksandermj at chromium.org
Fri Mar 8 09:44:56 UTC 2024

Hey,

> Still having serious issues with this issue..
>
> Is there any insight where the QMI errors are coming from? Is it the modem that is telling MM that there is something wrong?

The errors start to happen when we try to read information from the
SIM card. The first problem in the debug log you provided was when
reading the preferred operator list, and after that several other SIM
file read operations fail. My guess is that either the SIM card gets
in a bad state, or maybe it just needs more time to answer.

If you have the SIM card at hand and you reproduce the problem, where
MM just removes the modem object, you can try to manually run "qmicli
-p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --uim-get-card-status" operations on the cdc-wdm
control port to see if it ever replies or if the card got stuck.

Another test would be to fully disable the loading of preferred
operator list in MM (assuming that could be the culprit), by clearing
up the function pointers in mm-sim-qmi.c:
    base_sim_class->load_preferred_networks = NULL;
    base_sim_class->load_preferred_networks_finish = NULL;