Suggestion: for WPA2 Enterprise with EAP-PEAP, nm-applet should not force require a CA certificate

Thomas Haller thaller at redhat.com
Wed Jan 17 08:58:18 UTC 2024

On Wed, 2024-01-17 at 07:34 +0000, Joseph Marchand wrote:

> My campus school wifi is authenticated with WPA2 Enterprise with EAP-
> PEAP. To connect to this network, no CA certificate is needed, but
> the connection dialog requires one to be selected.
> To connect, I have to choose an arbitrary certificate file, then edit
> thenmconnection file to remove the certificate,  use dconf-editor to
> set ignore-phase2-ca-cert=false and ignore-ca-cert=true for the
> connection, and finally reboot. These workarounds could all be
> avoided if the nm-applet dialog allowed no certificate file to be
> selected. My school wifi is not a unique edge-case either, as a
> similar question was asked
> here:https://askubuntu.com/questions/949009/network-manager-wifi-conf
> ig-with-no-ca-certificate
>
> Is this email list the correct place to make a suggestion? Is there a
> more suitable place to make the request?

Hi,

It's not clear which GUI you are actually using. nm-applet itself
doesn't edit connection profiles. However, if you click "Edit
Connections..." in nm-applet, then it spawns nm-connection-editor.

If you use nm-connection-editor, then there is the "No CA certificate
is required" checkbox. Check it. Click "Save".

The workarounds seem cumbersome and unnecessary.

I added another answer to the askubuntu question.

Btw, reboot is not required to modify a connection profile. The profile
gets modified when you click "Save". As always, changes take effect by
activating the profile (or, if it's activated before modification, re-
activate it).

Thomas