[Nice] Component...

Youness Alaoui youness.alaoui at collabora.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 18:04:54 PDT 2010

Basically each 'component of a stream' is like a socket, a data stream.. but
multiple components in a stream have the advantage of 'sharing' data between
them to allow for faster/easier connectivity. For example when having one stream
with two components and you try to connect, one component will be 'frozen',
while the other one will do the connectivity checks, once that components gets a
connection, then libnice knows enough about your network topology to determine
which candidate pairs are most likely to work, so it can connect the second
component in a much faster/better way by reusing the information it got in the
first attempt.
Although, I don't really believe that this changes anything, you can create one
stream with 10 components or 10 streams with one component each, it will pretty
much end up (almost) the same, just consider one stream-component as a socket.

p.s: don't forget to take notes of everything you found, and all those
questions, I'm sure it will be helpful to write documentation/tutorial for
people who are new to the world of ICE/libnice.

Youness.