[Nice] Turn in libnice

Matej Knopp matej.knopp at inmethod.com
Mon Nov 8 16:20:07 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Youness Alaoui
<youness.alaoui at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is basically the question about "how open is google". They released
> libjingle by taking a snapshot of their development tree at some point, then
> they completely modified how the turn server works, but never updated/released
> that.. I personally never tried libnice against the turn server from libjingle,
> but I've read its code (headache) and I had to reverse engineer the real google
> servers because they work completely differently from what's in libjingle's code.
>
> If you use the NICE_COMPATIBILITY_GOOGLE mode, then it's possible it won't work
> with the libjingle turn server simply because it's outdated. I suggest you try
> it and see for yourself whether or not it works.
>
> Either way, I see absolutely no reason any sane person in the world would decide
> to use libjingle for anything (apart from looking for a migraine). If you want a
> TURN server, I suggest you check turnserver.org as Marcus suggested. They should
> have a version that uses draft 9 of the TURN spec (which is what libnice
> currently supports), but I will soon review patches from Marcus and merge proper
> TURN RFC support into libnice which should make it work with the latest version
> of turnserver.org.
> Other solution would be to (temporarily) use Marcus' branch of libnice until it
> get merged upstream : https://github.com/mlundblad/libnice/
>
> Hope it helps.
> Youness.

That was exactly the answer I was looking for. I have no intention of
using libjingle unless it's absolutely necessary. I went through
libjingle source code and your remark about migraine really isn't out
of place. Thank you for your work, it's appreciated.

-Matej