[Nice] Some troubleshooting needed...

Youness Alaoui youness.alaoui at collabora.co.uk
Wed Feb 23 14:45:11 PST 2011

On 10/25/2010 04:36 PM, Tony Di Croce wrote:

> At my work, we have a wired lan... And I've had my libnice code working here
> (streaming video), on both windows and linux....
>
> We also have a separate wireless network... I'm trying to get an ice connection
> from the wired network, to my laptop on the wireless network...
>
> Now, it wouldn't surprise me if the problem turns out to be some restriction on
> our wireless (it's pretty locked down, for example, I had to change the TCP port
> of my server so I could even do the candidate pair exchange, also, my laptop
> starts up a "steam" client every time I boot, and it cannot connect to steam on
> my work wireless)....
>
> I turned on libnice debug logging, and this is what I'm seeing:
>[...]
>

> I suppose this leads me to ask the question: What are the minimum outbound
> requirements for a network for libnice to work? For example, UDP or TCP to the
> stun server? Is the core connection made with UDP (If so, a firewall that blocks
> all UDP (or only allows certain ports) would not work)....
>
>       td
>
> (btw... I have written the introduction of the tutorial I promised a while
> back... if you'd like to see it, I can email it to you)...

Hi,

First, please fix your clock/smtp, either you sent this mail in november 2010,
and I just received it.. or it was sent with the wrong timestamp. I almost
missed it!

Anyways, the basic needs for the connection to work is : to have UDP
connectivity...
In the logs that you posted, I see that the laptop never receives anything, not
even from the STUN server during candidate discovery. So either your wireless
network blocks all UDP packets, or it simply blocks anything that isn't
whitelisted. Obviously, if you can't access the net, or can't do UDP, it's not
going to work.

About the tutorial, that's great news, yes, please send me that, it would be
nice to see what you got so far!
How are you writing it? docbook or something? maybe set up a public git server
for the documentation ?

Hope that helps,
Youness.