[Nice] testing nat behavior of a tool integrating nice and goalbit with pjsua or TUM nat analyzer

Federico Kouyoumdjian fedekp at autistici.org
Mon Oct 1 12:26:12 PDT 2012

We are students of a University in Uruguay (South America). We are
testing a program that integrates Nice to Goalbit.

We have configured a Linux Ubuntu box to act as a router between the
debian host where Goalbit/Nice is running and the ADSL connection. We
used iptables according to the asterisk wiki to simulate the different
kind of NATs (full cone, port restricted, restricted cone and symmetric).

With the tool pjsua we have detected the nat-types full cone, port
restricted and symmetric but when we configure the Ubuntu box to
simulate nat type restricted cone the pjsua detects full cone.

We wanted another tool to contrast this result but we started the
nattest in many situations (mainly debian or ubuntu with firefox or
epiphany and it starts but never reachs any result. How long is it
supposed to take? Does it require any operating system or browser to run
correctly?

Does anyone know another tool to do nat type detection or another way to
simulate restricted cone nat type?

http://goalbit.sourceforge.net/
http://nice.freedesktop.org/wiki/
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/TOP/NAT+Traversal+Testing