[libnice] nice_interfaces_get_local_ips() returns nothing on Windows

Philip Withnall philip at tecnocode.co.uk
Thu Dec 3 16:01:42 PST 2015

Hi,

On Wed, 2015-12-02 at 14:53 +0100, Adrien Carbonne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have compiled libnice on Windows but I cannot get *any* example to
> work.

How did you compile it? MinGW, or MSVC?

> I have tried to debug it, and I found out that one issue is that
> nice_interfaces_get_local_ips() returns nothing on Windows.

If you enable all debugging output (G_MESSAGES_DEBUG=all NICE_DEBUG=all
in the environment), do you get debug messages like “Error retrieving
local addresses (error code XX).”?

For debugging to work, you must also have configured libnice
//without// NDEBUG defined. The normal libnice.vcproj file //does//
define NDEBUG, so make sure you unconfigure that.

> Here is a sample program : it should display some candidates but gets
> no candidates (and no local addresses for that matter).
>

> int main() {
> 	context = g_main_context_new ();
> 	loop = g_main_loop_new ( context , FALSE );
> 	NiceAgent *agent = nice_agent_new ( context ,
> NICE_COMPATIBILITY_RFC5245 );
>
> 	g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT (agent), "candidate-gathering-done",
> G_CALLBACK (candidate_gathering_done_cb), NULL);
> 	g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT (agent), "component-state-changed",
> G_CALLBACK (component_state_changed_cb), NULL);
> 	g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT (agent), "new-candidate-full",
> G_CALLBACK (new_candidate_full_cb), NULL);
>
> 	guint stream_id = nice_agent_add_stream ( agent , 1);
> 	nice_agent_attach_recv ( agent , stream_id , 1 , context ,
> cb_nice_recv , NULL );
> 	nice_agent_gather_candidates ( agent , stream_id );
>
> 	g_main_loop_run ( loop );
> }
>
> Is it a Windows-specific issue?

Most likely, since the code for nice_interfaces_get_local_ips() is
highly platform specific.

> Do I have to stop dreaming about running libnice on Windows? ;)

Sorry, I don’t have regular access to a Windows machine to test libnice
on. All help is welcome!

Philip