[libnice] Removing a component from a stream

Lorenzo Miniero lminiero at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 04:03:00 PDT 2015

Hi,

following the debugging efforts that have been devoted to this issue:

https://phabricator.freedesktop.org/T3328

it turned out we'd need a way to remove a component from an existing stream
in libnice. In fact, while there is a method to remove a stream, there
doesn't seem to be any way to remove a single component.

The rationale from this, as explained in the last post of the issue above,
is that with WebRTC you may end up converging on a bundle/rtcp-mux usage
for the media and control packets. Specifically, when offering you usually
allocate a stream per media, and two components (RTP/RTCP) per stream. When
bundle is negotiated, you can get rid of all the streams except the first
one (all packets will be bundled over the same "connection"), while when
rtcp-mux is negotiated you know you won't need the RTCP component either
(RTP and RTCP will be sent over the same connection too).

Is there any method I missed in the documentation, or is a way to remove
components indeed missing in libnice as of now?

Thanks, looking forward to any kind of feedback you can provide!
Lorenzo